“Happy” can be a very difficult emotion to maintain. People most often believe that the emotion is contingent upon external catalysts and circumstances. However, happiness begins within. It is indeed a difficult task to experience joy if your sense of self is consistently faltered. While building self-esteem is a long withstanding process of self-discovery, there are still a few things that can be done to give your soul a quick sprucing. These tips for empowerment are guaranteed to add a little sunshine to a cloudy day.
1. Serenade Yourself: Keri Hilson said “Pretty Girls Rock”. Beyonce said you’re “Flawless”. So why shouldn’t you hear those lyrics in repetition throughout your day. Music helps us to express the things we may not be able to articulate without melody. Believe the words you’re lip synching as you fantasize about your own mock music video. An empowerment playlist is just what you may need to start your day.
2. Write Yourself a Love Letter: Cliché, I know but it can be ridiculously therapeutic. Talk about some of the mistakes you’ve made but be sure to include words of forgiveness.You’re going to make more mistakes than you can jot down in a day. Acknowledge them but give yourself a mental hug and let it go.
3. Compliment Your Reflection: Don’t be afraid to look yourself in the mirror, smile, and say “I’m Awesome”! Look closely at some of the things that make you beautiful. Surprise…they’re not all physical. Need a little help? Try remembering all of the compliments you’ve received about your great talents.
4. Treat Yourself: Self defecation is easy. Doing something that make you feel fantastic can be quite the task sometimes. Make yourself more of a priority. Indulge in activities that are bound to make your soul smile. You like watching television? Devote a day to Netflix and veg out in the most ridiculous way possible. You like to read? Turn everything off, including that pesky cell phone and become enraptured in your favorite author’s world. If your dream day consists of oreo cookies and soap net…DO IT! Guilty pleasures can be healthy in moderation.
5. Remove the Trash: Get rid of the toxic people in your life. You know who I’m talking about…the people with nothing nice to say, engrossed in their own self esteem deficiencies. Let’s call them what they are…emotional vampires. If allowed, they will drain the life right out of you. At the very least, they’re bound to suckle your basic emotional necessities. Put them on your block list until you have the strength and stamina to show them how you expect to be treated.
A Little Audacity Contributor: Kariba Willliams